Thursday, July 23, 2009

Hello Minnesota!

Today was our day to spend time in the interaction center, a huge place full of many different activities, booths and stations (think mega church carnival) that sought to help us learn a bit about our purpose here while throwing in a bit of fun.When we first visited the interaction center yesterday, we were overwhelmed by all the things we could do. I did everything from racing go-karts with Kadin to learning about different Lutheran colleges and organizations.

While I was thoroughly entertained throughout the day, my highlight would most definitely be enjoying all of the people that I got to meet or "visit," as they say in Minnesota (There are herds of them here and I love love love their accents!). Barely anyone was hesitant to smile and ask where we were from. As the Gathering continues to become more "personal," I have been developing a better understanding of the people who make up the congregations of the ELCA beyond our synod, one of the reasons that I chose to attend the Gathering.

Each gathering, people choose to bring in small gifts to give to random strangers or new acquaintances. So far I've received tons of wristbands, buttons, candy, a clothespin and a bookmark. These gifts, called "swaps," are often exchanged in return for something else, but if you have nothing, a simple smile will do. The little action of giving to random strangers is a beautiful one, reflective of the unifying spirit of the gathering.

No comments: